Cookies

Sunday, 10 January 2010

The New Year Begins…

As I come to the end of my first week in the new year, it’s hard to imagine and put together everything that’s happened in my life thus far.

I haven’t made any new year’s resolutions or made any start on the January detox, although lots of green tea is being consumed. I never feel like there’s much change when a new year comes round. It is not until recently that I’ve begun to think about my future and what I want in life.

As I drove back on new years day to be with my mum, I thought about the party my housemates and I threw for our friends and loved ones. The amount of love that spread through out the night; meeting new people, drinking competitions and sitting round the table at 10am the next day drinking tea, or cider as my dear friend Rachael continued to do, and eating the leftover, unopened party food. It seemed that new years this year wasn’t such a let down as new years always seems to be with me.

That night my mum and I spent ages looking at old photos of our family, and my mum felt a huge sense of nostalgia about the whole thing. I found it funny that as a baby I was so fat. However, what was most enjoyable about looking through these old photos was remembering the people who have left us, especially ones who we never really got to know.

So as I sit here writing this little message when I should be doing my essay, or seminar reading, I think about my life thus far and how, actually, lucky I’ve been. It seems weird as my final year at University draws to a close, how happy I am with the choices I’ve made. I’m not going to get all sentimental, although one could argue that this little note has the sentimental factor, but for the first time since finishing school and starting University, I’m looking forward to the unknown future that lies ahead, and am feeling excited about starting a new journey.

Happy New Year xxx