Cookies

Saturday, 19 May 2012

...Damien Hirst...


I have been meaning to post this review for some time now and have found myself putting it off and struggling to find the right words to express my thoughts. Unfortunately there are no photographs to accompany this post. Cameras were not allowed during the exhibition. Shame as there were some truly beautiful pieces. For example the butterfly pictures, that had a very strong resemblance to stained glassed.

Experiencing ‘art’ and the various forms it can be presented in, is something that I find very exciting. I enjoy all that art has to offer and am always open to experiencing interesting and controversial exhibitions. In April (this shows you how long I have writing thing post) I found myself at the Tate Modern walking around the rooms that held the ever controversial artist, Damien Hirst’s collection. I have always been slightly indifferent to his work and have never really had an opinion on his artistic merit. However, I was intrigued to see whether experiencing his work as a whole and in one exhibition may change those views.

The exhibition has been in the making for at least two years and it is clear to see why. Many of the works will have had to have been re-worked and collected together from various places. Prior to visiting the gallery I watched a few programmes being shown a week before the opening, which helped me greatly in understanding the reasons behind many of his pieces and what may have influenced his style.

I was extremely excited about experiencing the butterfly room and the 50 million pound diamond skull. Both pieces were worth the wait. A room filled with live butterflies intrigued me as they in themselves are beautiful wonders of nature...and then the skull, well it was mesmerising. The fact that he had the money to do it astounds me. Is it art, good craftsmanship or plain ego-boosting? Who knows? In all honestly I wasn’t that bothered. If I had that money then maybe I’d do the same. He did it first, which maybe is why it so important.

His exhibition was engaging, and you could move freely around without feeling like you had to view each piece in a particular order. I like being able to navigate my own path; discovering things myself. That’s what draws me to museums and galleries. I do not think I would have paid as much for the tickets (£14), as I found a lot of the exhibition fairly repetivtive. The spot paintings became too much after the first five and they began to wear thin. Is that too harsh?

However, if you do get the chance to visit please do (it is running through to September). I’m glad I did as I do not think I would have get another chance to view some of his pieces. I think his pieces work well as a collective rather than as individual pieces. Maybe it's my age and that I was too young to have experienced the impact he had on a specific generation of art. 

xxx